Monday, February 10, 2014

Update Bathroom Remodel

Yesterday was a milestone, the cabinets were finished and moved up to the bathroom this last weekend and the tub was set into place. Monday, I called the company that is doing the cultured marble for the tub surround and counter tops. Surprisingly, the guy was able to come out to measure a few hours later. I guess it should not be such a surprise, given the reduction in new housing starts of late. A second surprise was that he can have them ready in a week or so, not the 5-6 weeks it would have taken last year.





Any way, the new tub is in place. What a change from the old tub.




The old cabinets were refinished to have a little lighter finish than the original finish. I also added pull-out shelves under the sinks for easier access. To fill the gap between the shelf side and the side of the cabinet, I added a narrow shelf for small items.



The dressing table was modified quite a bit. I made a new face frame because I added two large drawers to the top to hold things that usually clutter the counter top, like hair dryer, brushes, aerosol cans, etc. The knee space was enclosed with two doors and, since previously there was no linen storage in the bathroom other than a bakers rack behind the toilet, two pull-out shelves were added for linens.




















For both cabinets, the existing drawers were refinished and full extension drawer slides were added. I have started on the replacement window. If you look closely you can see that the existing window is not level. Once I get the finish on the inside of the window (vinyl exterior), the frame and trim made, and the counter top is in place, Ill have to borrow long ladders and scaffolding from my friend with the light display (the one I made the Christmas star for) so I can get it installed. Once the tub surround is installed, I can get someone in to measure for the glass enclosure and bypass doors. Then, Ill just have flooring to install (Brazilian Hickory), the door to the closet to refinish and refit with new frame and casing, replace the door into the bathroom with one 2" wider and make its frame and casing, install the two medicine cabinets and lighting sconces, install the vent fan, install the toilet and the other plumbing fixtures, and wallpaper. It makes me tired just thinking about it...

Previous post are here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment