Monday, February 10, 2014

Ombre Frames and Graphic Prints

The dimensions for the other nightstand I have for the bedroom arent quite right so I put that project off this weekend to work on some frames for the landing above the front door.

Ombre is everywhere now -  taking my own spin on it, I decided to paint our black frames a gradient of gray.

 

Read on to see how it was done! 

Our rental has three levels: 1st - garage and entryway, 2nd - bedrooms, 3rd - kitchen and living space. The living room is on the top floor because of the view


I am so grateful to be living by the ocean while we are on the west coast, it is beautiful and you cant beat the weather!

On to the landings ... we have several, so all that white space needs a pick me up! Since I wont be painting the walls (it is a rental after all) ... art is needed.


Here is the space with 3M picture hanging strips in place. These are great because you wont have to fill in lots of holes when you move (or change your mind) and they leave no marks when removed. We also think that they take less time to hang frames than nails.

 

The frames with previous photos (left) and with prints I made in Adobe Illustrator (right) ... 

The black frames were too dark for this hallway, so I decided to paint!

I removed the prints and glass, sanded the frames, primed the frames, after a few hours lightly sanded the primer ...

Mixed the paint:

 
 I started with Sherwin Williams Big Chill and added some black acrylic paint to gradually darken it


Tested and adjusted the paint based on dried swatches

and now the fun part, with an airbrush I painted some ... 


David (my husband and diy partner) painted too, gradually blending the four paints to create a gradient


half way done



Meet Annabelle - our sweet, energetic, and ever loving puppy

  
d for david and dorsey
annabelles silhouette    
s for sarah
Our wedding date and moves since then

I love the subtle ombre effect on the frames, I hope you do too!


 I am off to work on this $20 craigslist find ... I have finally finished filling in all the crack and dents!


No comments:

Post a Comment