Friday, February 21, 2014

Build My Own Shed

There’s a certain amount of pleasure in building something yourself. Whether youre thinking I’m going to build my own birdhouse or build my own shed, it’s the knowing you can do it yourself that counts the most.

There’s a few things Ive learned the hard way when I first started building that I’d like to share with you so you won’t have to go through the frustration and headaches that I did.

1.    I know you’ve probably heard this a thousand times but it is a very common mistake. Measure twice and cut once. I’ve made this mistake building my own shed years ago. You can’t add back to a board if you cut it too short.You have the measurement in your head and then you lay out and cut only to find you’re an inch too short. Here’s something I do that helps me not to do this; I write it down and take it to the piece I’m going to cut. If someone is calling it out to me I’ll write it on the board.

2.    Make sure you stay square and level. If you start out of square and level it will only get worse as you go along. Whether it’s the floor or a wall, make sure you keep your work square and level.

These are only a couple of things I wanted to bring to your attention. If you just remember these couple of tips then you will eliminate the problems that they would cause you. To build your own shed there are a lot of different things you will need to do such as decide the size of the shed, make a material list, figure out what pitch the roof will need to be and what spacing to set your lumber on. If you would like to check out a product that has a number of different shed plans to choose from along with step by step instructions then see my previous post Woodworking Blueprints

No comments:

Post a Comment